Integrated Energy Centres
A new approach of the government is to grant solar concessions to private consortia in order to provide energy services in Kwa-Zulu Natal, Limpopo and the Eastern Cape. In recognising the limitations of the use of electricity alone, this new model promotes a mix of fuels when addressing energy poverty.
Totalgaz and TotalEnergies have adopted this strategy and are currently supplying gas to the following energy centres:
- Kgalagadi Integrated Energy Centre, located at Dithakong, a cluster of nine villages in the Northern Cape.
- Caba Mdeni, situated in Maluti, about 25 km from Matatiele in the Eastern Cape.
- Eshane Integrated Energy Centre, located in the Natal Midlands Kwa-Zulu Natal.
This strategy has been conceived and developed towards providing a ‘basket’ of services rather than focusing exclusively on electricity.
The package of energy services in these centres is made up of:
- LPG (9, 12, 14, 19, 48 kg cylinders, as well as Shesha)
- Prepaid electricity cards
- Cell phone and Telkom airtime vouchers.